Life as an older adult can be quite challenging, both mentally and physically. Listed below are seven facts that demonstrate some age-related problems:
1. Believe it or not, an astounding 90% of Americans aged 55 and older are at risk of developing hypertension, or high blood pressure.
2. In the United States, an older adult suffers a fatal fall every nineteen minutes.
3. It is estimated that a quarter of older Americans will develop depression, anxiety, dementia and mental disorders.
4. Nearly one in four (23 percent) of Americans aged 60+ live with the effects of diabetes.
5. Seven million older adult Americans suffer from depression.
6. It costs roughly $50 Billion annually to treat injuries sustained from falls among older adults. By the year 2020, this figure is expected to rise to nearly $68 Billion.
7. Chronic disease can be found in almost four in five older adults. More alarmingly, 77% of this demographic have two such diseases.