- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups apple, peeled and chopped (Granny Smith or Gala)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, add half of it to pan, and saute 5-6 minutes until chicken is browned. Remove, set aside and repeat procedure with second half of chicken. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and cinnamon. Stir occasionally while cooking for 2 minutes, Add squash and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock and cider. Be sure to scrape the pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add chicken and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, partially cover, simmer 20 minutes. Stir in the apples. Cook another 10 minutes or until apple is tender.