- 2 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (add more if you like!)
- 1 cup chopped San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debeard
- 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan
- Chopped basil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the pancetta and onion and cook until pancetta is crisp and onion is translucent. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mussels to the sauce. Cover and cook until the mussels start to open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open. Add chopped basil and lightly toss the mussels in the sauce.
- Spoon into bowls, top with grated Parmesan and serve!